UPDATE (Nov. 4): Governor Kemp renewed his Executive Order pertaining to the State of Emergency for Supply Chain Disruptions (linked here), which contains a provision allowing log trucks and other commercial vehicles to haul up to 95,000 lbs. In addition, Governor Kemp renewed the Executive Order that suspending fuel taxes during the State of Emergency for Supply Chain Disruptions (linked here). Both Executive Orders are set to expire on Dec. 11 at 11:59 p.m. unless it is renewed by Governor Kemp.
Under Governor Brian Kemp’s Executive Order, log trucks (and other commercial vehicles) are permitted to continue to utilizing the special weight permit allowing up to 95,000 lbs. gross vehicle weight, renewed at the discretion of the Governor.Executive Order that has been renewed month to month. In April, Gov. Kemp let the COVID-19 executive order expire which included the 95,000 lbs. for truck weights; however, he immediately implemented a new Supply Chain Executive Order that includes the same truck weights provision. GFA’s Government Affairs Team has been in constant contact with the Governor’s Office, and we will continue to report on updates and renewals to the Executive Order as needed. GFA’s President and CEO Andres Villegas applauded the Governor’s continued leadership and support of Georgia’s forestry supply chain. “Our harvest and haul sector is under tremendous pressure that is exacerbated by a shortage of labor, some of the highest insurance rates in the U.S. South and the lowest truck weights. This year’s legislative session provided us with a unique, yet unexpected, opportunity to discuss a more permanent solution for raising Georgia’s weight tolerances, but more time is needed for us to do the work necessary to get this across the finish line,” Villegas said. “We are thankful for the Governor’s continued attention and leadership on this issue as we continue to advocate for ways to address this supply chain crisis.”Since the COVID-19 pandemic began in March of 2020, log trucks and other commercial vehicles in Georgia have been able to haul up to 95,0000 lbs. thanks to a Public Health State of Emergency
- To apply for a permit from the Department of Public Safety visit https://gapros.dot.ga.gov/ or call the following numbers during normal business hours:
- 844-837-5500 (Preferred Number, Third Party Permit Vendor)
- 404-624-7258 (DPS # if you have trouble)
- The permit applies to chip trucks, lumber flatbeds, and all other commercial traffic in addition to log trucks.
- UPDATE: (Oct. 3): Governor Kemp Executive Orders pertaining to truck weights (linked here) and the gas tax suspension (linked here) were renewed.
- UPDATE: (Sep. 1): Governor Kemp Executive Orders pertaining to truck weights (linked here) and the gas tax suspension (linked here) were renewed.
- UPDATE (Aug. 4): Governor Kemp Executive Orders pertaining to truck weights (linked here) and the gas tax suspension (linked here) were renewed.
- UPDATE (July 1): Governor Kemp’s Executive Orders pertaining to truck weights (linked here) and the gas tax suspension (linked here) were renewed.
- UPDATE (May 26): Governor Kemp’s Executive Order pertaining to truck weights was renewed (linked here).