The Georgia Forestry Association applauds the Georgia General Assembly for the passage of House Bill 189, which increases the allowable gross vehicle weight for trucks hauling forest products to 88,000 lbs. This bill now heads to Governor Brian Kemp’s desk for his signature before it is codified into Georgia law.
“The GFA is thankful for the leadership of the House and Senate for passing House Bill 189, Andres Villegas, GFA President & CEO, said. “This effort would not be possible without the tireless support of the bill’s sponsors Rep. Steven Meeks and Sen. Russ Goodman; Transportation Committee Chairmen Rep. Rick Jasperse and Sen. Greg Dolezal; and, strong leadership from Rep. James Burchett, Speaker of the House Jon Burns, Senate Majority Leader Steve Gooch and Lt. Governor Burt Jones.”
The modest 4,000-pound increase in the allowable weight for forest products granted through HB 189 will provide much needed relief to small businesses across the state that support the forestry supply chain, which is the economic lifeblood for many rural communities in Georgia. The bill also aims to further ensure the safety of agricultural and forestry trucking fleets in Georgia through increased fines, enforcement and reduced truck traffic.
“With rising operational costs due to inflation, workforce challenges due to the Great Resignation and some of the highest insurance costs in the U.S. South, this measure is an important step forward in putting Georgia’s small forestry businesses on an equal playing field with surrounding states,” Villegas said.
House Bill 189 Key Provisions
- Increase in the legal gross vehicle weight to 88,000 lbs. (or 80,000 lbs. base + 10% variance) for trucks hauling agricultural and forest products
- Expansion of products to include finished agricultural goods (lumber, paper and wood chips) and recycled materials
- 2-year sunset (ends July 1, 2025)
- Allows for a 150-mile radius from the point of origin
Click here to download the HB 189 Policy Brief →
Stay Engaged in the Political Process
- Join the Forest Resource Teams (FORT), GFA’s growing grassroots network. By building a relationship with your legislators with the help of GFA, you can amplify the voice of Georgia’s working forests at the Capitol! LEARN MORE AND SIGN UP →
- Fortify our legislative engagement by donating to ForestPAC. Your support provides GFA with critical resources needed to support champions of forestry and cultivate new ones. Events like Forestry Day at the Capitol would never be possible without our ForestPAC’s supporters. LEARN MORE AND DONATE →