Longleaf Pine Establishment & Management Workshop
October 11 @ 8:00 am - October 12 @ 1:00 pm$275.00
Bulloch County Extension Office Meeting Room, Statesboro, and Screven County, Georgia Field Site
Sponsored By: Warnell School of Forestry & Natural Resources
Date: Oct 11, 2022 08:00 AM to Oct 12, 2022 01:00 PM
Approximately 19,043 acres of longleaf pine were planted in Georgia in 2019 alone. Longleaf pine’s silvicultural characteristics, fire adaptations, and tolerance of low fertility sites once made it the dominant pine species on over 90 million acres across the southeastern U.S. Major restoration efforts have been occurring across longleaf pine’s native range during recent decades. The purpose of this workshop is to provide information on several aspects of longleaf pine management.
- Learn about longleaf pine establishment factors and ways to maximize survival and early growth.
- Review cut-over and old-field pine wood and pine straw studies
- Learn how the effects of various herbicides and application timings affect longleaf pine survival and growth.
- Learn about prescribed fire and its impacts on longleaf pine survival and growth.
- Learn about the survival and growth performance of several longleaf pine seed sources planted at six locations in Georgia.
- Learn about the effects of fertilization on wood growth and pine straw yields on cut-over and old-field sites
- Discuss the economics of growing longleaf pine on old-field and low fertility cut-over sites
How One Will Benefit
Upon completion of this course, a forest landowner or land manager will be able to make effective silvicultural and economical management decisions on managing longleaf stands with an emphasis on early survival and growth.
Who Should Attend?
Foresters, land managers, forest landowners, pine straw contractors, and others interested in effectively managing their pine stand for pine straw.
Minimum Number Required
At least 20 people need to be registered by the early registration deadline (September 27, 2022) to hold the workshop.
Notify Ingvar Elle at 706-583-0566 (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 5:00 p.m. September 27, 2022 if you wish to cancel and receive a refund.
Last Day to Register
Registration for this course ends on Friday, October 7, 2022 at 5:00 PM EST.
For directions we suggest using Googlemaps.com. You may also contact David Dickens 912-690-1678 or e-mail him at email@example.com .
Parking for Workshop
Please park in the front of the extension office.
For special services or dietary considerations contact David Dickens at 912-690-1678 or e-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org prior to 10 September 2022.
Hotels in Statesboro
- Comfort Inn and Suites: 17870 GA-67. 912-225-9345
- Hampton Inn: 350 Brampton Ave. 912-489-8989
- Holiday Inn Express: 427 S Main St. 912-205-5999
- Holiday Inn: 455 Commerce Dr. 912-489-4545
- Quality Inn & Suites: 230 S Main St. 912-225-4999
- Days Inn: 616 Fair Rd. 912-225-0204
- Home2 Suites by Hilton: 1576 Brampton Ave. 912-259-1900
The last day for early registration is 09/27/2022
Early registration cost…………………………………………………….$275.00
After 09/27/2022, Registration
Regular registration cost………………………………………………………..$330.00