#1 in Commercially Available Timberland
Georgia has 22 million acres of commercially available, private timberland, more than any other state (1).
#1 Exporter of Pulp, Paper, and Paperboard Mill Products
Georgia accounts for 21 percent of all U.S. exports of pulp and paper (6).
#1 Exporter of Wood Fuel
Exports of wood fuel, including chips and pellets are valued at $165 million (3).
#1 Exporter of Wood Pellets
Exports of wood pellets are valued at $136 million, 26 percent of the U.S. total (3).
Overall annual economic impact in 2015 from the forest industry (2).
State tax revenue for the State of Georgia (2)
Total direct and indirect employment in Georgia from the forest industry (2).
Economic benefit from forest-related outdoor recreation (3).
Annual value of ecosystem services of private forests (4).
48% Annual Growth vs. Removals
In addition to a consistent increase in forest land cover over last 50 years due to healthy markets (5).
(1) Georgia Forestry Commission. (2011). Georgia Forest Facts. Web; accessed: February 2017.
(2) Georgia Forestry Commission. (2015). Economic Benefits of the Forest Industry in Georgia: 2015. Web; accessed: February 2017.
(3) Georgia Forestry Commission. (2015). Statewide Assessment of Forest Resources 2015. Web; accessed: February 2017.
(4) Moore, Rebecca et al. (2011). Quantifying the value of non-timber ecosystem services from Georgia’s private forests. University of Georgia Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources. January 2011.
(5) Georgia Forestry Commission. (2014). Georgia’s sustainable forests: A resource for all Georgians. Web; accessed: February 2017.
(6) U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. (2015). Georgia: Price Movements of Top Exports and Other Highlights. Web; accessed: February 2017.